Table of Contents
In ancient times, people discovered the benefits of bathing in warm waters that are rich in minerals. They needed to use complex aqueducts to bring mineral waters to their cities and public baths. Nowadays, we have the luxury to be able to bathe in mineral-rich water by just adding bath salts.
What are bath salts
Even though many use them, some aren’t sure what bath salts are. They are water-soluble minerals added to bathing water in order to serve as cosmetic agents, improve the cleaning, and enhance the skincare. They simulate the properties and conditions of hot springs and mineral waters. In order to understand what is bath salt, we need to see what they are made of. Most commonly, they include magnesium sulfate (known as Epsom salts), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), sodium chloride (table salt), sodium hexametaphosphate, sodium citrate, and glycerin.
Benefits – what do bath salts do
There are many reasons why people use them. The main ones are:
- Medical – even though people think that salts can mostly improve your skin, there are a variety of other medical benefits of using them. For example, they help people with joint pains and are recommended for people with arthritis and other joint diseases. Bath salts also help with small wounds and irritated skin.
- Hygiene – bath salts help in exfoliation of dead skin cells. Furthermore, different types of salts can soften or harden the water in order to enhance its cleaning properties.
- Relaxation – adding salts to the bathwater increases its density. This results in better relaxation during the bath as your body feels lighter. In addition, Epsom salts help in skin recovery and remove heavy metals from your body as they are rich in magnesium and sulfate. If you wonder how much Epsom salts to use in a bath in order to make it relaxing, we advise administering 200 to 700 gram and soak in it between 20 and 40 minutes.
How to use bath salts
The answer to this question depends mostly on the effects you want to achieve with bath salts.
If you want to benefit from a relaxing bath, we’d recommend adding oils and colours to the bathwater. Chromotherapy is a therapy method that uses colours and different lights in order to help you calm and cure different diseases. Aromatherapy is another healing treatment that has been used for centuries. Combined with bath salts, these two techniques are guaranteed to improve your experience. For a fast, refreshing, and energizing bath, we recommend using essential oils like peppermint or citrus and colours from the cool spectrum (blue, green, purple). For a romantic or long bath, benefit from lavender essential oils and warm colours (red, orange).
If you wonder how to use bath salts to improve your skin and health, one of the best ways to do so is to add 2 cups of Epsom salts, a spoon of almond or olive oil, and some sea salt. This is a great way to treat itchy or dry skin as well as minor inflammations. For conditions like acne, you might want to add some tea tree oil. It has anti-inflammatory effects which make it a good option for people with eczema, psoriasis, minor dermatitis or other skin infections. For muscle aches, we recommend adding cinnamon bark oil along with the Epsom salts. It has a warming effect and can help after an extensive workout.
In case you want to improve your health and have more relaxing baths, visit the Bath Barn Bahtroom Showroom and choose a tub in which you can enjoy long and calming moments. The minutes you spend under the shower don’t have to be a necessity, with our tubs and the right bath salts, they can be an experience. A pleasant experience!
Related articles you might also like
- Your Detailed Guide to Understanding Shower Trays: Sizes, Materials, Installation and More - August 22, 2023
- Scandi Bathroom Ideas: Your Complete Guide To Scandinavian Bathroom Design - June 27, 2023
- Why Shop in a Bathroom Showroom - April 17, 2023